Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Lovefilm alternatives
Last Post 06/08/2014 13:56:08 by SparkyArcher. 11 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
michaeleccles

--
30/01/2013 13:52:11
    Hello,

can anyone recommend an alternative to Lovefilm, as it is owned by Amazon?

Thanks,
    Michael
    Les Edinbu

--
    20/02/2013 11:38:03
    Cinema Paradiso seems to fit the bill. As far as I know!
    Some rental companies are "powered by Lovefilm"
    See www.uk-dvd-rental-guide.com
    michaeleccles

--
    27/02/2013 19:16:10
    Thanks!
    SusannaR

--
    05/03/2013 20:55:40
    Yes, I have the same problem and I have only just found out that Lovefilm is owned by Amazon and am quite annoyed as I have been fairly successfully boycotting Amazon for over 1 year. Does anyone have experience of Cinema Paradiso and know who it is owned by?!
    robsterid

--
    06/03/2013 18:14:46
    Cinema Paradiso is brand name for Pace e-Solutions Limited. Pace is registered in England and Wales and search could not identify any Group Companies.

All checks out so we are moving from Lovefilm now!
    SusannaR

--
    07/03/2013 15:57:32
    I have just been looking at reviews of Cinema Paradiso online and they are not on the whole good! Has anyone experience of using them? I have just cancelled my Love Film sub so wondering what to do.
    ellaava

--
    17/03/2013 08:17:39
    i m mostly purchased clothing from apparelnbags.com . i don't have amazom link yet i will sent it next time.
    ironhide0

--
    30/03/2013 16:08:54
    I've given up on rentals. I just buy secondhand films on ebay and then sell them when i'm finished with them. over a month I break even on the films so I only pay postage costs. While ebay are probably no better than amazon, at least they don't get all of the money from the sale.
    Jesslw

--
    17/05/2013 12:03:56
    There is Netflix and TV Now for instant streaming. Not sure who they are owned by though.
    skbull

--
    07/12/2013 15:59:43
    I am leaving Lovefilm having not realised it was an Amazon organisation until recently.

We are in a quandary - we have such a rubbish internet connection in our village that download is simply not an option, and I don't like ebay so we want to be able to continue to rent DVDs on line.

I have been looking at CinemaParadiso which seems quite good on its website.

However, others in this thread are cirtical of CinemaParadiso. Could someone tell me the nature of the reported problems?
    skyfreek

--
    19/05/2014 15:08:49
    Hi all - it can be difficult to avoid Amazon. I have recently discovered that Netflix used Amazon's cloud computing systems to deliver Netflix streamed movies.

So if you're subscribing to Netflix, a chunk of that subscription is going to Amazon, making Netflix an ethically unsound choice. I've been a Netflix subscriber for 18 months..and really like the service.

How annoying!

Is there no escape from these greedy giants?
    SparkyArcher

--
    06/08/2014 13:56:08
    I'd like to add a suggestion. I recently started visiting a local independent cinema instead of renting or streaming. They usually show a couple of films a month. Not only is it more ethical than dealing with Amazon it is also a lot more social. They show a variety of films I'd probably never have known about and they also operate a bar with a variety of local beers, home made snacks the usual tea & coffee and some absolutely outstanding local ice cream I can't get enough of.

Of course there might not be an independent cinema near you but it may be worth considering as an alternative. I stopped my Lovefilm subscription and with it the one film every Sunday habit. Much better.

For anyone who's interested the cinema I go to is called the New Picture House and you can have a look at their website at newpicturehouse.com.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more