Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Campaign Still Going?
Last Post 19/02/2013 22:35:01 by nameloc2080. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
elsmie

--
19/02/2013 09:20:05
    Hi,

I am seriously thinking of closing my account with Amazon. To be honest, their tax evasion wasn't my biggest concern. After all, they did not do anything illegal and everyone would do the same, given the chance, even if it isn't morally right. What I think is worse is the way they treat their workers, just so we an all buy cheap books.

The reasons above got me contemplating leaving Amazon, but the most worrying thing for me is that I then noticed that I am actually SCARED to leave Amazon!?! How crazy is that? Surely there is something wrong if you think that you cannot live without a certain multi-national company? That in itself is a perfectly good reason to leave.

So, I understand you cannot just cancel the account, you have to ring them. Is that right?

I also have a Kindle (2nd generation, not Fire) and I understand - now! - that eBooks I bought do not belong to me but are on extended loan from Amazon. That's outrageous, too, but I must have accepted that with the small print. I understand that of course I will no longer have access to the Cloud once I cancel my account, but will I lose the books that are currently on my Kindle? Surely not! Otherwise I'll have to hang around until I've read everything.

Can anyone help? I've tried to find out, but not many people seem to leave Amazon, strangely. Your advice would be much appreciated.

Kind regards,
    Melanie
    nameloc2080

--
    19/02/2013 22:28:25
    I looked into closing my account as few days ago and found this information about how to close an Amazon account.

I too found myself holding back from closing my account. Not sure why really.

With regards to the Kindle situation you do indeed lose access to all your content bought from Amazon if you close your account, as content is licenced to you not sold.
    nameloc2080

--
    19/02/2013 22:35:01
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more