Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Hive.co.uk
Last Post 14/10/2015 14:22:41 by leigonj. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
simonungar

--
19/05/2013 14:30:28
    I noticed that Hive.co.uk popped up in the Best Boy tab in the recent guide to online bookshops in EC142, however it did not appear in the main table and no information about the company, or it's parent Gardner Books, appeared in the article.

Hive was recommended to me by the owner of my local bookshop, Clapham Books. They sell DVDs, CDs and stationery as well as books, generally at prices similar to Amazon. I'm guessing this is possible as Gardners is the main UK book wholesaler, supplying most bookshops and Amazon themselves, I believe. Every time you order, the local independent bookshop you nominate gets a cut of the price you pay, and you can opt for home delivery of collection from the bookshop. If you go for the latter, you also reduce the impact of distribution and your order comes in with the rest of the books ordered by the shop for that day.

It would be great to know a bit more about Gardners' ethical performance. I assume that the inclusion of the Hive in the Best Buys implies that they are fairly clean?
    heatheradmin

--
    24/05/2013 13:08:16
    Hi simonungar,

We did not include Hive.co.uk in our buyers guide as it appeared to be a buying platform for other independent bookshops. However, we think it may be worth adding the company to our product report and so will update the company on our database.

We have checked out the company Gardner Books who is owned by the Little Group which is ultimately owned by members of the Little Family. The company does not appear to have any subsidiaries in tax havens nor does it have an environmental report.

I will let you know when I have updated the company.

Kind regards,

Heather
    leigonj

--
    14/10/2015 14:22:41
    For what it's worth, I'd like to add my own personal recommendation for Hive.co.uk. I've used them a number of times and delivery is quick and the products are well priced!!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more