Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Energy
Last Post 16/09/2015 23:29:20 by scillo. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
HeatherM

--
27/06/2013 10:03:57
    I recently switched my energy supplier from British Gas to Ecotricity and I'm annoyed with myself that I didn't do it sooner. We have had terrible customer service from British Gas but thought they provided the cheapest deal and therefore accepted the rubbish service. However since moving to Ecotricity I now know that we were foolish to accept the awful customer service. Surprisingly our bills are now cheaper using Ecotricity and the customer service is amazing. It didn't take long to switch to Ecotricity nor was it difficult despite what British Gas told us. I would recommend other people to switch your energy supplier to a smaller greener company, the recent report by Ethical Consumer on energy highlights many of the new energy companies. I think we should all switch and show the big energy companies that customers are no longer happy with their unethical records.
    heatheradmin

--
    04/07/2013 12:56:23
    Thanks HeatherM.

It is a sentiment shared by many.
    scillo

--
    16/09/2015 23:29:20
    Good Energy are behind the Big Deal currently being promoted by 38 Degrees. As a happy GE customer myself, it is exciting that so many more people might get signed up.

However, I noticed that Good Energy has recently updated their fuel procurement policy to include BioDiesel and burning wood chips, with somewhat aspirational phrasing about the way in which they would "ideally" source such electricity from local/sustainable sources. While I trust them more than the Big Six, we must keep an eye on the smaller providers too. As they get bigger, the temptation might be to cut corners. Scrutiny must ensure that their energy really is ethical, and isn't contributing to deforestation or turning over agricultural land to biofuels and pushing up food prices.

I know we can rely on Ethical Consumer to shine a light (ho-ho) as always.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more