Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

What's Your New Year's Resolution for 2014?
Last Post 13/01/2014 22:08:37 by Stuart Hill. 22 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Page 1 of 212 > >>
Author Messages
Tim Hunt
ECRA STAFF

--
07/01/2014 15:01:44
    This year I want to restart my Spanish lessons and learn how to build a decent Wordpress website.

What's everyone else hoping to do in 2014?
    heather1234

--
    07/01/2014 15:55:59
    Hola
    My news years resolution is to stop eating junk food especially
    focusing on cutting down on sugar.
    leonie
    ECRA STAFF

--
    07/01/2014 15:58:28
    I'm wanting to sort out my website as well.

Plus I'm looking at doing some performing at a spoken mic night and being nicer to my plants.
    RHarrison

--
    07/01/2014 16:00:17
    In 2014 I've resolving to climb Mynydd Tryfan - a mountain I've been looking at for years and wondering about - and to see Spiro perform live- a minimalist conceptual folk collective.

Need to launch a Fair Tax Mark too of course.
    janet

--
    07/01/2014 16:01:49
    New year, new gym membership. I'm resolving to get fitter this year by swimming and going to the gym on a regular basis.
    AnnaClayton

--
    07/01/2014 16:04:42
    I am going to attempt to slow down time by embracing the slow life philosophy. I am going to commit to slow travel, slow food, slow money and a slower life
    admin
    Staff Member

--
    07/01/2014 17:27:25
    In my professional life I'm resolved to wean clients away from using Google, which is already the evil empire and positioned to become more powerful than most people imagine across all sorts of markets.

Personally I'm growing veg in containers, using a dehumidifier in an attempt to cut heating bills, and plan to do much more exploring of the lovely Peak District round where I live. I'm also drinking caffeine-free tea for the first time, which feels like one change too many.
    Katy Brown

--
    08/01/2014 10:43:26
    I plan to get fit by going running regularly to help me with my voluntary work as a hunt saboteur stopping fox and hare hunting. Have already started!
    davidfarrar

--
    09/01/2014 08:52:18
    Just dragging this all back to Ethical Consumers' day jobs (sorry) ... alternatives to Google sounds almost as good as the brilliant Alternatives to Amazon series.

My new year resolutions - putting more time into my exciting (unpaid) work as an Alnwick Town Councillor, including extending our cemetery and setting up a woodland burial site. So post-season-of-goodwill.
    spacetufty

--
    09/01/2014 09:41:26
    Buy more from local & independants, buy less from big business.
    Be as ethical as I reasonably can be in my purchases (guided by Ethical Consumer)
    Really make an effort to get fully into my new found hobby - Green Woodworking
    Happy New Year! @spb1971
    JuniorOeuf

--
    09/01/2014 09:51:51
    Continue boycott of Amazon - think of all those doctors, nurses, teachers that their corporation tax would fund. It is not that difficult to find other suppliers. If they are slightly more expensive, think of it as making a contribution to society rather than filling the pockets of people who give nothing back.

Generally to make more informed decisions with my purchases - avoid the tax avoiders and the companies who do not give anything back. Sad as it is - the tough decision will be the replacement for my ageing iphone 4.
    DavidT

--
    09/01/2014 09:54:30

Posted By admin on 07/01/2014 17:27:25
    using a dehumidifier in an attempt to cut heating bills

Can I suggest an alternative? Dehumidifiers are quite expensive to run, so you may not save money in the end.

Think instead about a heat exchanger, which can take damp, warm air out of a house and return dry, warmed air. I have a unit which I'll be fitting this summer (it involves putting a hole in the wall, sorry). The brand name is Kiltox (it was recommended by a friend as being excellent) and damp/mould problems are said to disappear using one. They are very cheap to run too, apparently. I have no connection to the firm.

Just a thought.

David
    DavidT

--
    09/01/2014 09:59:52
    As for 'ethical' new year resolutions, I'm putting more insulation into our home. Much of the insulation I'm using is left over from other jobs, recycled or obtained via freebie websites.

Although I don't drive much, I'm peeved that my small car (only five years old) can't manage much more than 45mpg. So this year I intend replacing it with a 65mpg model. I hate spending money on cars and it seems as if the better the mpg, the higher the price of the car. There's true upside-down economics for you!

David
    Foxpal

--
    09/01/2014 10:16:02
    New Years resolutions: To cycle to work unless it's raining, or rain is forecast that evening.
    To avoid purchases produced in Israeli occupied territories.
    To turn the heating as low as my wife will bear it.
    To not use aeroplanes.
    To campaign to get Britain out of the arms trade.
    David Crawford

--
    09/01/2014 10:39:16
    My resolution is to encourage Ethical Consumer to pay attention to punctuation where and when it makes text easier to read and understand, e.g., What's Your New Year's Resolution [for] 2014?

[Thank you for the tips on avoiding Amazon. I bought CDs from Crotchet http://www.crotchet.co.uk/ instead]

David
    Surrey
    DavidT

--
    09/01/2014 12:54:57
    According to professor Kevin Anderson, deputy director of the Tyndall Centre, at the University of Manchester, “To do this, [cut CO2 and equivalent emissions significantly] industrial countries have to cut energy use by around 8-10% each year or 60-70% over the decade, and we have to start now.

As climate change is the most serious threat to the human race, the above should be everyone's new year resolution from now on. And I believe his figures are on the optimistic side.

I wonder: how many so-called 'ethical' consumers would be able to cut their emissions by 8-10% and repeat it each year? (Note I'm saying 'able' - not 'willing', which is a totally separate issue.)

The only way it could happen is through the 'unwilling' route - by introducing TEQs or Cap&Share. And that, my 'ethical' friends, ain't gonna happen.

David
    madHarriet

--
    09/01/2014 18:18:34
    Eat less, move more, and meditate.
    Harrier

--
    09/01/2014 18:30:05
    1. Boycott ' Sweety Alleys '.

Boycott shops, and filling station shops in which ' Sugar Treats ' are positioned for children to pick off. This promotes poor nutrition, and poor health - And will cripple our NHS. And adds stress to parents who are doing everything they can to encourage their children to eat healthy foods.

2. Support Campaigns for Simple, Transparent Product Descriptions.

I want to be able to compare like, with like.

E.g. Energy providers, Insurance Products. In the case of insurance I'd like to
    know the proportion of premiums :
    - Paid out to claimants.
    - Spent on Advertising / Marketing
    - Paid to top executives.
    - Paid to shareholders, etc.
    Call Centre Service Measures ( Waits, satisfactory info., etc. )
    And a measure of customer satisfaction / frustration.

It would be interesting to know the proportion of interest payments
    WONGA spends on :
    - TV / Web / Etc. advertising.
    - Recovery of debt.
    jmsayer

--
    09/01/2014 22:28:25

Through my blog (www.moreso.org) I want to encourage an open discussion about how we can use all aspects of business to (successfully) tackle the social and environmental problems that we face in our world.

@MoreSoOrg

Cheers, Jo
    CoolHandLuke69

--
    10/01/2014 10:24:12
    To do all my shopping at the brilliant new ethical supermarket in Brighton - HiSbe (stands for How it Should be) - http://hisbe.co.uk/.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.
    Page 1 of 212 > >>

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more