Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

What do you want to see change in 2014?
Last Post 10/02/2015 18:23:25 by kryptonitekid. 16 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Tim Hunt
ECRA STAFF

--
15/01/2014 11:17:40
    We all want to see real social, environmental and economic change in 2014 but what changes do you most want to see?

Are you hoping for a change in legislation to stop tax avoidance, a new labeling scheme for palm oil free products or an end to the badger cull?

Whatever your wish for 2014 we want to hear about it.

You can see what some of the Ethical Consumer team are hoping to achieve here.
    http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/shop...hlist.aspx
    Tim Hunt
    ECRA STAFF

--
    15/01/2014 14:17:59
    I'm hoping that the government and HMRC will begin to address the issue of corporate tax avoidance in a more meaningful way.
    Last year we saw no real steps forward despite the continued high profile campaigning by a host of organisations including ourselves.
    With one in four consumers now saying they are willing to boycott companies over their tax avoidance, it's clear that consumers see this as an important issue and one which lawmakers need to address quickly to help ensure the future of our beleaguered public services.
    Stuart Hill

--
    15/01/2014 22:03:10
    As I see on the Ethical Consumer Wish List 2014 (http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/shop...ist.aspx), I want to see Pay Multiples reporting by employing organisations throughout the UK become common practice in 2014.

Societies with lower income inequality (the difference between the income of those earning more in society and those earning less) are generally happier and healthier societies in which to live for all of us and cause less harm to our environment and planet (see www.equalitytrust.org.uk).

Pay Multiples help measure and track income inequality.

Learn more and how you can be part of this initiative at our free-to-access website www.paycompare.org.uk

Thanks and our best wishes for your own New Years,

Stuart Hill MCQI CQP
    Founder and Lead
    Pay Compare
    www.paycompare.org.uk @PayCompare
    butam

--
    16/01/2014 19:53:06
    It would be nice to just be able to make informed choices about Palm oil products.
    naomi.milton@ntlworld.com

--
    16/01/2014 19:53:53
    I would like the goverment to stop wasting millions of pounds of tax payers money and hundreds of hours of police time by not letting the next stage of the badger cull go ahead in June, but it would appear out Goverment and current enviroment secretary places no value what so ever on our countryside or wildlife.
    Spidergran

--
    16/01/2014 19:56:32
    1. A ban on fracking and Tar Sands

2. Analysis of the UK sex industry

3. A national 'I am not a consumer I am a human being' Day

4. Abolition of the Monarchy

5. Separation of church and state

6. An elected second chamber

7. More Transition Towns

8. Honest, intelligent and hardworking politicians

9. The Nordic Model in the UK

10. An accountable, responsible press & more investigative journalism

11. Living Streets

12. Shedloads of investment in renewables

13. A Tobin Tax

14. A ban on Hedge funds

15. An ethical bank

16. All public utilities and services run by workers' coops

17. Return of the Commons to the community

18. Transparency of companies' pay structure, particularly banks

19. A tax on aviation fuel

20. Local car share schemes

21. A new co-operative movement

22. Local currency

23. A stop to selling off council houses

24. A decent government

Inthetin

--
    16/01/2014 19:56:38
    I'd like to see individuals take more control of their own finances.

I have decided to cancel all of my direct debits and will only pay what I owe once I have received an invoice and I am completely satisfied with the service/goods that I have received from the business in question.

If enough of us cancelled our direct debits, sacrificed the small incentives for paying that way, these companies would sit up and take notice. We have made it too easy for them. Because they don't have to worry about cash flow (like the rest of us), they seem to spend their time working out ways to screw us and the tax system because the cash just keeps rolling in.

Well, mine has stopped.

Inthetin

DavidT

--
    17/01/2014 10:02:04
    Just one thing - TEQs/Cap&Share.

http://www.teqs.net
    http://www.capandshare.org

Nothing else matters. Badgers, palm oil, transition towns, banking all pale into insignificance in comparison.

David
    jendurham

--
    17/01/2014 11:24:04
    I want it all. I cannot decide whether it is more important to stop the badger cull, to have a law that makes people pay their taxes rather than see how much they can fleece from this country, or to make Cameron and Osborne see how dangerous fracking could be for this country, or to make them give us back our NHS.
    Actually, I think the NHS is more important.
    However, what I would really like is for people to take responsibility for their own actions, to realise they are part of this community called society and act appropriately.
    I would like those at the top of banking to refuse bonuses on the premise that they are paid enough anyway and do not need extra millions. I would like those who take money offshore to avoid taxes to stop laughing at those of us who cannot, and to ask their accountants to play fair in this country.
    I would like those private health companies to take their money elsewhere, to countries where they have no healthcare and to do good in society. I would like to ask Virgincare and Spire to stop taking CCGs to court and using expensive lawyers to get more money out of the NHS, then taking profits offshore so they do not pay tax in this country.
    Don't want much, do I?
    kadiearmstrong

--
    17/01/2014 12:34:33
    I'd like to see the collapse of the Transatlantic Trade and Investment Partnership (TTIP) talks between the U.S. and the E.U. under pressure from civil society questions and protests. It sounds like obscure trade legislation, but it has HUGE ramifications (1). It is the kind of legislation that is undermining democracy in favour of corporate rule.

That's no exaggeration: under the proposals there will be corporate-sponsored 'courts' in which corporations can challenge national goverments when they think that their profits are being hit by national legislation. Governments will be forced to pay fines or - more likely - they will act pre-emptively by avoiding law-making that seeks to rein in corporate malfeasance. EU negotiators have been forced to concede (2) that these 'Investor-to-State Dispute Settlement' (ISDS) processes:

"if not properly designed, can raise a number of legitimate
    concerns about whether legislation can be undermined by investors"

There has been scant coverage of these talks, and the impact of a trade 'negotiation' process that is heavily weighted in favour of corporations and profit-making (3). The interests of people and the planet are barely represented. Really, if it goes through then this agreement will be the foundation of even worse corporate practices.

(1) http://www.wdm.org.uk/climate-chang...us-climate
    (2) http://trade.ec.europa.eu/doclib/pr...fm?id=1008
    (3) http://blogs.computerworlduk.com/op.../index.htm
    EAntliff-Clark11

--
    21/01/2014 15:22:16
    As a Co-op bank account holder I support the Save Our Bank campaign and hope today's conference is an effective one.

Corporate tax avoidance - utterly unacceptable (except to the business community of course!). I managed to find all but one(shame)of my Christmas gifts without the aid of Amazon and I do not intend to use their services again.

Issues around slavery, in all its ghastly forms. The Modern Slavery Bill starts is progress through parliament this month but it is important that all consumers have the relevant information about companies who turn a blind eye to it. Ignorance is not a defence.

I would like to see a very strong stand against the sugar and salt industries and the manufacturers of so called foodstuff which contains too much of both. The insidious collusion of supplier, producer and retailer which cynically deceives the consumer (not least the parents of young children)has to be exposed. The government must be shamed into divorcing itself from the influence of these dangerously powerful multinationals. After all, it is charged with looking after the well being of its citizens...

To continue on that subject I am interested in one of your contributor's suggestion regarding the TTIP. This sounds very scary and I would like to echo the call to investigate this further.

Liz A-C
    torfness

--
    23/01/2014 12:23:29
    Wider availability of non-palm oil sourced goods.
    More transparent labeling on products (such as labeling the source of ambiguous shampoo ingredients - are they coconut or palm oil derived and sustainable or not eg Round Table on Palm Oil sustainability)
    More widespread easy to understand information for people on the consequences of Fracking for Oil.
    More widespread urgent knowledge on the elimination of Borneo's and other never to be recovered rainforests and species.
    More importance of use of alternative fuel such as wind and water power.
    The importance of sustainability in society rather than 'use now, worry later' mentality.
    GLowe19

--
    26/01/2014 12:17:18
    More change in public opinion - I think we need to move forwards to a new and better way of life, not back to the pre-recession times.

There's been a lot done so far - the Transition movement, Earth Hour and so on, and of course EC - but as a society I think we need to consider the well-being of ourselves, others, and the planet more (and our finances a bit less).

Our government needs to see that we believe this - and to provide the way for this to happen on a larger scale.

cakeole

--
    02/02/2014 12:55:30
    i would like to see an end to old school tie political parties where privileged people go to University on a get rich quick trip to politics.

I would like to see an end to avarice and those in power sucking all the life blood out of the economy.

I would like to see a Banking reform.

An end to fossil fuels

More thought for the environment.

More humans to wake up, discard the brainwashed views imposed by big business / government and think about the big picture.
    Amma

--
    23/02/2014 20:54:26
    I'd like to see more discussions in the media about ethical consumption and more availability of ethical branded skincare products on supermarket shelves and point of purchase incentives to encourage ethical consumer choices.
    Finucane

--
    16/04/2014 14:04:34
    Hi i was wondering if you could take a few moments to fill in this questionnaire for my dissertation! I am trying to gain an insight into the consumer’s thoughts & opinions with regards to CSR and Body shop. This is the second part of my research and is extremely important. Therefore it would be much appreciated if you could participate

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DQ6QC67
    kryptonitekid

--
    10/02/2015 18:23:25
    Are you a coffee drinker? Would you take my quick survey? Thanks!

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/L9TBMMC
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more