Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Last Post 28/02/2015 17:44:40 by ec2015. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages

26/02/2015 11:23:47
    Bookstore advertises itself as the UK's truly independent online bookseller, based in Weybridge, Surrey. Since I can't find them in your survey results I am wondering how far I can trust their claims, and just how ethically correct they are as an organisation.

I suppose the question has been asked many times before, but can you suggest how an individual like me can verify what they say, and form a view about whether to put business their way.

Since I live outside the UK, and rarely visit, I depend upon online merchants for all sorts of products which I might be able to buy in person by visiting the High Street if I lived in UK. So this is an issue I find myself facing quite frequently, and am unable to resolve either in general, or in this particular case.

Thank you for any guidance and information.

26/02/2015 15:53:01
    Hi auptitgallo,

Thank you for your email. I've tried looking on Copmanies House (this is where all UK registered companies have to submit their annual accounts) but under bookstore.co.uk it states it was dissolved in 2011. I have emailed the company to see if it is now trading under another name but if you have purchased something from them and have a receipt please have a look to see if there is another company name on it.

If you want to do your own research, as I said above Companies House allows people to download companies annual accounts and annual returns for £1 per document. The AR01 list the companies shareholders and the AA will give you financial information along with a list of significant subsidiaries and a statement on overall ownership. Alternatively you could email them for proof of claims on sustainability etc.

I hope that helps.

Kind regards,

28/02/2015 17:44:40
    This bookshop appears to be genuine but a very small operation. They've probably got no stock, so you might be disappointed if you visited Weybridge hoping to buy a book from them. They're just a website, and a pretty basic website at that.

In the Help section on the bookstore.co.uk there is the following statement:

"The copyright of this bookshop website service is held by The Book Partnership Ltd. Other users of this service can be found at LocalBookshops.co.uk."

The Book Partnership has its website at http://www.bookpartnership.com/tbp/index.htm. See their "About us" page for an explanation of what they do. See http://www.bookpartnership.com/tbp/...ge1012.htm for a description of services offered.

Not my idea of a bookshop.

You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more