Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Tackling broader issues
Last Post 26/05/2015 17:29:06 by heatheradmin. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
charlottehadley

--
02/03/2015 20:34:06
    I’ve have just started reading the March/April 2015 ethical consumer magazine and have noted some key issues relayed in the Editorial presented by Professor Kate Soper and Rob Harrison’s query to focus on broader sustainability issues.

I believe that it would be highly beneficial to consider broader sustainability issues that extend beyond the purchase of consumer products. Without a doubt, the types of products that we consume contribute to the damaging consequences the environment faces. Still, it is important to consider the impact of the ways in which we go about our lives on a daily basis and how this can impact upon the environment. Consider our domestic water consumption for example, through routines such as flushing the toilet, taking baths and showers, watering plants, cooking etc. Whilst these actions are necessary, it is perhaps important to consider ways in which water consumption levels, amongst other forms of consumption (gas and electricity, for instance) might be reduced and how more sustainable forms can become embedded into daily life. I am currently studying for a PhD, which focuses on environmental sustainability and I’m particularly concerned with some of the issues raised here, amongst others.

Charlotte
    dieseltaylor

--
    08/05/2015 10:11:05
    Belatedly logging on I felt I should contribute. Water is an issue but not particularly in the UK so is probably a hard row to harrow given the Ethical Consumer implies a " consumer" remit.
    heatheradmin

--
    26/05/2015 17:29:06
    Hi,

Our focus is more on the policies and the reporting activities of companies as opposed to the looking at how a product is used. This would involve more detailed life cycle analysis which is a bit beyond our remit. However we do try and incorporate this into the articles which accompany our product guides. See our guide to washing machines as an example of this.

http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buye...hines.aspx

Kind regards,

Heather
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more