Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Dr. Hauschka
Last Post 29/06/2015 15:07:30 by nicole.spring. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
nicole.spring

--
09/06/2015 11:28:30
    Hi, I've recently been trying Dr. Hauschka products - I chose this company based on their ethical practices stated on their website.

So, I got quite a shock when I saw their relatively low rating (11) on Ethical Consumer.

You last assessed this company in 2012. Perhaps they now have an updated website with much more information available? Even if they don't respond to your questionnaire, there is a lot of information that you could use on their site alone.

For example: http://www.dr.hauschka.com/en_GB/kn...-projects/

and: http://www.dr.hauschka.com/en_GB/about-us/sustainability

This seems to be a pretty decent company.

Thanks,
    Nicole
    heatheradmin

--
    16/06/2015 22:10:09
    Hi Nicole,

Thank you for your post. I have checked our rating of this company and changed the score under anti-social finance as the company under our new rating system for tax avoidance receives a best rating. So it should now have an ethiscore of 11.5.

Dr Hauschka is owned by Wala Heilmittel which has a turnover of over £100m. We rate its parent company on environmental reporting and supply chain management. It received a worst rating in both categories.

A company of this size Ethical Consumer would expect it to at least have an environmental policy with two targets / show a reasonable understanding of its main impacts and have its report independently verified. I can not find any environmental targets.

We would also expect the company to have a supply chain policy which guarantees workers' rights throughout its supply chain. The company sources ingredients from around the world but it is unclear how it monitors its supply chain for workers' rights violations. I can find no supplier code of conduct which includes provisions for workers' rights.

The company also loses half a mark under human rights for having operations in Russia and Israel as Ethical Consumer considers both countries to be governed by oppressive regimes.

The company does however have a positive rating for its animal testing policy.

I hope this makes sense. If you have any more questions do not hesitate to ask.

Kind regards,

Heather

nicole.spring

--
    29/06/2015 15:07:30
    Thanks for your response and reassessment, Heather!

I understand more now why they are not more highly rated.

Kind regards,
    Nicole
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more