Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Butter product guide
Last Post 03/09/2015 16:10:10 by Ingavdh. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
cwillmoth

--
23/08/2015 23:04:01
    I was reading with interest your article on butter in the latest edition EC165. I do not eat dairy products myself but my children do, and I try to source the best types of dairy products for them to eat regarding animal welfare. A friend pointed out that there are small scale dairies which produce milk whilst letting calves suckle for a full 9 months. For instance, this one local to me http://www.the-calf-at-foot-dairy.co.uk/ I would consider, although I haven't investigated, that the higher price reflects a "truer" cost of dairy products. However, is this something readers could comment on in terms of whether they are better for cows/consumers than companies with mainstream organic practise like Yeo Valley? Thanking in anticipation!
    Ingavdh

--
    03/09/2015 15:52:12
    shame there is still killing of juveniles involved :/

I wonder what the true cost would be if everyone got to live their natural lifespan; wonder if it's ever been calculated!
    Ingavdh

--
    03/09/2015 16:10:10
    question re delamere dairy: why did it only get half a mark off for factory farming due to being zero-grazing? surely almost the epitome of factory farming?

also under "environmental reporting"; has there been a mistake in the wording?;

"Top 'Environmental Reporting' stories for Delamere Goats butter:

Worst Ethical Consumer rating for environmental reporting
    In June 2015 Ethical Consumer viewed Delamere Dairy's website for the company's environmental policy. No statement or policy could be found regarding the company's environmental impacts. The company was contacted and a response was received which stated "We are looking for an up-to-date policy (less than 2 years old), that is independently verified. The policy should contain at least two quantified environmental reduction targets and a discussion of your company’s key environmental impacts (ideally with environmental performance data)." However Ethical Consumer did not take into account future commitments and therefore the company received Ethical Consumer's worst rating for environmental reporting."
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more