Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Holidays
Last Post 25/01/2016 19:42:01 by Vilmelaine. 2 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
Breeze

--
04/10/2015 18:39:20
    Hi-just returned from a week in Tenerife and horrified by, firstly, the number of hotels with exotic birds caged in bare and uninspiring prisons round pools and reception areas and, secondly, the fact the Jet2.com doesn't (according to the flight stewards) recycle any of the waste generated during flights.

I was staying in one of the WimPen Leisure Resorts in Los Gigantes, Tenerife and complained in the strongest terms to the manager about the dozens of imprisoned birds round the pool area. I'll also be writing to the community of owners and the administrators of the resort, as well as raising awareness of this cruelty among friends and family.

During the Jet2.com flight back to Glasgow from Tenerife I noticed the stewards cramming numerous bags of litter full of 90-99 per cent (I estimate) recyclable materials. When I asked how many bags were collected and how much was recycled I was informed separately by two stewards around 20 bags (black bin bag size) and that nothing was recycled. I'll be writing to Jet2.com to check the stewards are correct and complain if they are. Are other airlines ant more responsible?

I'm a new subscriber so apologies if you've already covered these issues.
    heatheradmin

--
    02/11/2015 14:07:50
    Hi Breeze,

Welcome to Ethical Consumer. Hope you are finding it useful.

We haven't covered hotels since 2007

Here is the last article we wrote on the sector.
    http://www.ethicalconsumer.org/buye...otels.aspx

Do you know what hotel chain it was which had caged birds? Maybe it could be worth contacting one of the big animal rights campaigning groups to ask if they could target the hotel chain.

With regards to rubbish on flights - I have also noticed this and on trains as well. The best thing to do will be to contact the company. Recycling is so easy however it always amazes me how many businesses do not do it. To make a proper difference government regulation is needed.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Kind regards,

Heather

Vilmelaine

--
    25/01/2016 19:42:01
    Hi Heather,

It would be really great to have some more info on the hotels industry. A lot has changed since 2007, I guess.. alternatives have been created such as airb&b etc. It would be great to read what Ethical Consumer says about it!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more