Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

Ecover/CCIC cruelty-free issues (Leaping Bunny)
Last Post 01/01/1900 00:00:00 by . 0 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages Informative
EcoverWatch

--
26/05/2016 20:41:27
    Hello,

I'm posting here after being in contact with Tim over email for a number of days regarding Ecover being listed as having a fixed cut-off date. He suggested to use the forum to inform about this to all readers.

I'll try to keep the thread as short and informative as possible.

I've been unable to find a fixed cut-off date for Ecover anywhere, and no one seems to be able to provide one. The Leaping Bunny (LB) website tells us that "Companies may license the use of the logo after becoming certified by CCIC, thereby making a pledge that, as of the fixed cut-off date, they do not conduct or commission animal tests, and do not use any ingredient or formulation that is tested on animals" (http://www.leapingbunny.org/content...nny-logo), but no specific date can be found anywhere.

I have written to Ecover about this and their research using crustaceans (daphnia), as well as related issues. I have also written to LB and Cruelty Free International (CFI), but didn't get a reply from these two yet (wrote to them the 20th). Ecover gave me a reply the 23rd. See below, along with my reply to their statement (I'm still waiting for a response to that) and my original, first email to them:

--My first email--

Hello,

I'm trying to find your fixed cut-off date but cannot see that information anywhere. Could you please let me know? Thanks.

Also, I'd like to know if Ecover, or any third party on your behalf, test any ingredients and/or products on Daphnia or any other invertebrates or vertebrates. I also ask to kindly provide the source of blood/blood cells you use for research/development, or inform me if you don't use it anymore.

Thank you very much for your attention.

--Ecover replies--

Thanks for reaching out. Ecover and our suppliers follow the strict animal testing standards set by Cruelty Free International, the largest coalition of international animal protection organizations, and its Leaping Bunny certification. Its Humane Standards for evaluating “cruelty-free” and “animal-friendly” are based on the most consistent global definition of “animal” available – the one used in European law defining animals in two categories: live non-human vertebrate animals and live cephalopods. As daphnia are do not fall into either of those categories, they are not defined as animals and using them or other invertebrates in testing is allowable within the Leaping Bunny certification.

Testing with daphnia is recognized by the international scientific community as the global standard for aquatic safety. We adhere to that standard to ensure our products are safe for the environment when they go down your drain and don’t do things like create algal blooms that deplete water of oxygen and harm fish. To protect our waterways, it’s critical we’re able to effectively test our products’ aquatic impact. As the alternative to using daphnia to ensure aquatic safety is testing on fish, we believe we’re using the best method available.

We will continue to adhere to the global standards set by Cruelty Free International, so if you have further thoughts on their definition of animals or the Leaping Bunny criteria, please feel free to contact them directly at info@CrueltyFreeInternational.org.

take care,
    bri

--My reply to them--

Hi Bri,

Thanks for your reply and for the information provided.

However, I still don't know what your fixed cut-off date is. The Leaping Bunny information page states that "Companies may license the use of the logo after becoming certified by CCIC, thereby making a pledge that, as of the fixed cut-off date, they do not conduct or commission animal tests, and do not use any ingredient or formulation that is tested on animals". Could you please tell me your fixed cut-off date, or otherwise let me know if you don't have one?

Also, while I thank you for your kind response, I'd truly appreciate if you could please answer each and all questions asked in my previous email. I will enumerate them separately, to make it less confusing:

1- Apart from Daphnia, does Ecover, or any third party on its behalf, test any ingredients and/or products on any other invertebrates or vertebrates?
    2- Could you, please, provide the source of blood/blood cells that Ecover uses for research/development, or inform me if you don't use that resource anymore?

I hope I've expressed myself better this time, for my queries to be understood completely and, thus, hopefully receive an appropriate response to all of them.

I await your reply.

Best regards
    --

While I wait for a reply from Ecover, LB and CFI, perhaps some users could also write to them to try to get a proper answer about these issues.
    Their email addresses are:
    Leaping Bunny - info@LeapingBunny.org
    Cruelty Free International - info@CrueltyFreeInternational.org
    Ecover - info.us@ecover.com

I hope that this information is of any use and that, together, we can clear these doubts. Please, do not hesitate to post any information you may have.

Thanks.
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more