Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Current Accounts, Savings Accounts, Mortgages, Fossil Free Investment Funds
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
- Current Accounts
- Savings Accounts
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- which bank is the biggest funder of oil and gas?
- is your bank paying its directors excessive amounts?
- which banks are funding arms manufacturers?
- who's best for being transparent about who they lend to?
- the gender and ethnicity pay gaps in the finance sector
- what's so good about building societies and credit unions?
- which is the best green mortgage?
- the latest boycott news
Feature article on:
- are 'sustainable' investment funds fossil free?
Issue 200 (Jan/Feb 2023) now in print and online.
- Is there an ethical bank? Rating the ethical and environmental record of 31 UK current accounts, with recommended buys. We also look at app-based banking, which banks own which brands, fossil fuel investments, tax avoidance, unequal pay, and how to switch accounts. Plus we shine a spotlight on Barclays.Read more
- Finding the most ethical mortgage, with ethical and environmental ratings for 40 mortgage providers, and recommended Best Buys. We look at bank and building society mortgages, green mortgages, credit unions, Islamic mortgages, brokers, and alternative housing options.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
Here at Ethical Consumer we believe in sharing the ethical Christmas spirit, providing information on everything from where to shop on the high street to individual products from Best Buy Label companies. Plus you can use our Alternatives to Amazon guides to ditch the online giant once and for all.Read more about Have yourself an ethical Christmas
Guide to 28 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Includes alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying second hand books, book swapping and using libraries.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
Amazon is well-known for its tax avoidance, workers’ rights abuses and monopolistic behaviour. Here, we introduce our Amazon alternatives series, outlining more ethical options. We also explain the background to our Amazon boycott and why we launched it in 2012.Read more about Shopping without Amazon
In this guide, we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 44 high-street brands We also look at the problem with fast-fashion, workers' rights, shine a light on the ethics of Boohoo and Shein, and give some recommended buys.Read more about High Street Clothes Shops
Which are the real ethical clothing brands? Ethical ratings for 27 UK ethical clothes brands, with Best Buy recommendations. See how brands rate on key areas including use of sustainable fabrics, climate impact, fair wages and working conditions, animal rights, and supply chain transparency. We look at their range of clothing and at the innovators that are going beyond fairtrade and organic.Read more about Ethical Clothing Brands