In September 2019 Ethical Consumer viewed WWF-UK's website for the organisation's environmental report. The company produced annual environmental reports and had an environmental statement. Ethical Consumer also contacted WWF-UK however no information was provided regarding its environmental reporting.
Ethical Consumer viewed WWF-UK's Environmental Report 2017 which reported figures regarding its properties; electricity, gas and water usage; waste; business travel; and paper and timber purchases. The report was independently verified by EnviroSense.
On its environmental strategy page the organisation stated: "Thinking carefully about what we purchase and the suppliers we use is another way we can affect our environmental impact." However, it did not directly mention its shop merchandise. It was therefore not considered to demonstrate adequate understanding of its environmental impacts.
A document on WWF-UK's Environmental Goals 2018-2023 was found, which included the following targets:
- Business travel: road and rail - Produce no more than 67 tonnes CO2e per year
- Business travel: air - Produce no more than an average of 286 tonnes CO2e per year
- Energy use - Use =158kWh/m2per year
- Waste production - Recycle at least 84% of our waste per year
- Food waste - Reduce our food waste by 50% by 2023
- Single-use plastic - Eradicate avoidable single-use plastic used in our products, operations and supply chain by 2020
While it was commendable that the organisation had these environmental targets, they were not considered adequate. The majority were not reduction targets and others did not have a baseline.
The company had an environmental report dated to within the last 2 years, and which was independently verified, as well as two future dated targets, but did not demonstrate adequate understanding of its environmental impacts. It therefore received Ethical Consumer's middle rating for Environmental Reporting overall and received half a mark in this category.
www.wwf.org.uk/who-we-are/walking-the-talk (3 October 2019)