In December 2019 Ethical Consumer received a returned questionnaire and a number of policy documents from Lucy Bee. No explicit environmental reporting could be found, but the following information was found in the Lucy Bee Policies document:
• Lucy Bee complies with the EU Organic Regulation.
• Lucy Bee also meets Soil Association’s own additional higher standards to ensure the highest possible standards of animal welfare, environmental and wildlife protection.
• Lucy Bee can confirm that the farmers, packers, food processors and organic retailers meet the organic standards set out by Soil Association."
• Lucy Bee does not use palm oil in any of its products not even sustainable palm oil.
• Lucy Bee does not use any ingredients that are derived from palm oil in any of its products."
• Lucy Bee products are packaged in BRC Grade A plants in the UK and the Philippines.
• Lucy Bee aims to use to totally eco-friendly packaging and reduce waste in all areas possible.
• Lucy Bee use recyclable glass jars and BPA free lids with a recyclable, compostable and biodegradable easy peel label.
• Lucy Bee use FSC card for their packaging which means everything is recyclable, compostable and biodegradable.
• Lucy Bee have reduced waste and plastic by replacing old card trays and plastic shrink-wrap with outer cardboard boxes."
• Lucy Bee coconuts are grown in an eco-friendly agroforestry environment amongst banana trees. Agroforestry contributes to soil fertility, cleaner water through reduced nutrient and soil run off and it allows for other crops to be grown between the coconut trees."
"Organic Food Federation:
• Lucy Bee buy into the need to protect our individual health and the health of the planet by following organic ways of production and avoiding non-organic pesticides and intensive farming practices.
• Lucy Bee can confirm that their products are traceable from farm to the fork because every stage of the journey is inspected and certified."
Lucy Bee was a small company with a turnover of less than £10.2million.
As a small company providing an environmental alternative Lucy Bee received Ethical Consumer's best rating for environmental reporting.
Questionnaire December 2019 (9 December 2019)