In March 2020 Ethical Consumer viewed PZ Cussons' Annual Report 2019. It stated: "Currently, our targets focus on reducing carbon dioxide emissions, landfilled waste and water consumption, on packaging optimisation and on sourcing sustainable palm oil.
In June 2018 we launched our ‘25 by 25’ Plastic Promise. This commits us, by 2025, to:
• reduce the amount of plastic we use by 25%;
• ensure 100% of any remaining plastic we use is reusable, recyclable or compostable; and
• use at least 30% recycled materials in all our plastic packaging.
The Group has been a participant in the Carbon Disclosure Project (CDP) for over ten years, currently reporting our Scope 1 and 2 emissions.
Whilst it talked about reductions in water consumption and energy use, there were no dated and qauntified targets for these areas.
"This year, we were graded B- by CDP, indicating effective management of our environmental impact – our best score since we commenced participation."
Other targets were:
* commitment to source 100% of our palm oil from producers whose entire operations have been independently verified as compliant with NDPE standards by 2020".
* a 3% year-on-year reduction in energy, water and waste across the Group."
The company was considered to show a reasonable understanding of its key environmental impacts, it presented two or more environmental reduction targets but the report was not independently verified. It therefore received a Middle rating for Environment Reporting and lost half a mark under this category.
Annual Report 2019 (12 March 2020)