Discussion Forums

The forums are open for viewing, but closed to new registrations.

To post or start a new topic you need to be a subscriber or already registered.

Click on a forum name to see the list of topics beneath it. 

Click on a topic name to see the posts and comments.

wordery.com
Last Post 05/10/2015 18:27:11 by Ingavdh. 4 Replies.
Printer Friendly
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Sort:
PrevPrev NextNext
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
AndyJo

--
19/11/2014 11:14:55
    wordery.com appear to be an independent online Uk bookshop.
    They claim to be wholly UK owned and based, by members of the business and by their distribution partner who again are wholly UK owned. So no tax dodging there.
    They have fantastic feedback on trustpilot https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/wordery.com
    I use them, as the price and service is as good as, if not better then, Amazon.
    heatheradmin

--
    08/12/2014 12:49:02
    Lovely, thank you for letting us know AndyJo.

We will look into them for you and let you know.

Kind regards,

Heather
    ec2015

--
    27/02/2015 22:58:32
    To me the Wordery arrangements seem a little troubling.

I understand that Wordery was launched by the wholesaler Bertrams of Norwich in order to sell direct to the consumer. This means that the independent booksellers who use Bertrams as their wholesaler, now find their wholesaler competing with them. It's hardly surprising that Wordery's prices are so often the lowest to be found.

I started using Wordery a year or so ago, after reading an article about them in the Guardian. I also assumed they were an independent bookseller, and being UK-owned, they seemed a decent alternative to Amazon. But I've been disappointed with them, because of slow dispatch and delivery, and a sometimes-unhelpful attitude. That finally sent me searching to see if I could find out why this company - who I hoped would prove an ethical alternative to Amazon - should be so dismissive towards customers.

I read about the company's background on the Bookseller site, which is where I learned that it was not an independent bookseller. And then I came across a discussion on the Amazon seller forum, about the difficulties faced by some of Bertrams' independent bookseller clients, faced with having to compete with their own wholesaler. (https://sellercentral.amazon.co.uk/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=70319)

Of course, this situation is actually a consequence of Amazon's dominance, which puts so much pressure not only on the independent booksellers but also on the wholesalers, who find their margins cut to the bone and are thus tempted to use their wholesaling price advantages to sell direct to the consumer at a lower price than any independent seller can match. Bertrams' one remaining wholesale competitor has aso launched a direct-to-consumer website (hive.co.uk). But they've gone about it very differently, inviting indepndent sellers to participate in the venture by acting as collection points. Seems a more ethical approach than Bertrams/Wordery. But I've only just learned of hive.co.uk, so I don't as yet have any firsthand experience.
    grantmahoney

--
    14/08/2015 12:56:17
    Be careful! I bought a map from Wordery. They delivered something totally different. Despite email after email they continue to ignore me. They have taken their money - delivered the wrong goods so I will probably end up taking them to small claims court!! I have been forced to buy the map I need from another site.They may be cheap - but don't be fooled!! Also they have NO phone number on their web site. STAY AWAY!!!
    Ingavdh

--
    05/10/2015 18:27:11
    I bought from them through ebay
    at least you would have some recourse there!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.

30 day trial subscription

Customisable ethical ratings for over 40,000 companies, brands and products, plus Ethical Consumer Magazine. The simple way to shop with confidence.

Discover more