Quick guide to: Mobile Phones
Mobile phones have revolutionised modern life and now most of us can't seem to do without them, and why should we? However it is important to recognise their negative impacts and where possible try to reduce them. Its easier than you might think...
Here's Ethical Consumer's quick fire guide to mobile phones...
- We all like an upgrade but we know its not great for the environment. Make sure you sell on (or give away your old handset) don't just throw it in the bin. If its still working well try giving it to family and friends first so you know it'll definitely be used. If they don't want it try an online recycling merchant they will often pay for your old handset even if its not working and then sell it on or recycle it.
- If you do buy a new handset get a Nokia. They might not be that ethical but they are the best of a bad bunch. Nokia has the highest Ethiscore of the companies that do best on our Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) rankings and it tops Greenpeace's Green Guide to Electronics.
- Smart phones. Try and get a phone with as many good extra functions as possible. For instance if you buy one with a decent camera built in this means you don't need to spend more money and waste more resources on a separate digital camera. They can also come with a host of other features including MP3 players, e-book readers, calculators and dicta-phones.
- Use your handset to organise. All over the world activists are putting technology to the use and organising actions using social media (Twitter and Facbook etc) and text messaging through their phones. Why not use your phone to help organise with some local campaign groups. You could join the growing UKuncut movement. Invite your friends (real or Facebook) to the next UKuncut demo on the high street, just remember to turn up yourself!
- Network providers are all very similar in terms of their Ethiscore. Have a look at our rankings table to see which on best fits with your ethics by using the sliders next to the table to change the scores depending on what you think is most important.
And remember for subscribers our rankings tables are all mobile phone friendly so you can check them while your out shopping.