Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Chocolate, Mince Pies, Ethical Online retailers, Bookshops
The latest magazine includes shopping guides rating:
- Mince Pies
- Alternatives to shopping at Amazon:
- Ethical Online retailers
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- how to buy decolonised chocolate - the brands giving cocoa farmers the fairest deal
- choosing the most ethical chocolate for your budget
- the second trial of a new rating system - Mince Pies
- why you shouldn't shop at Amazon
- the most ethical alternative online retailers
- where to buy your books from
- exploring a new rating for diversity, equity and inclusivity
- what progress has been made towards sustainable consumer lifestyles in the UK?
Issue 205 (Nov/Dec 2023) now in print and online.
- Find ethical, sustainable and fair trade chocolate: ratings for 84 brands of bars of chocolate and chocolate snacks, with recommended brands and ones to avoid. Is all fair trade chocolate equally fair? What are chocolate brands doing about child labour? We look at the big ethical issues including colonialism in the cocoa sector, palm oil and deforestation, child labour, cocoa certification, as well as who makes vegan chocolate, and how to find ethical and responsibly-sourced chocolate to suit your budget.Read more
- Guide to 34 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Includes alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands and how to find ethical online and local bookshops. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying secondhand books, and how to support independent authors, publishers and bookshops.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
Finding an ethical pension: a guide with ethical and environmental ratings for 23 major pension providers, with recommended buys. We rate the major pension providers which offer some kind of ethical option for clients. We look at different types of pension, what makes a pension ethical, transparency, investments and carbon reporting, Sharia funds and ethical pension campaigns. We also shine a spotlight on Vanguard and Nest.Read more about Ethical Pensions
Finding ethical and eco-friendly toilet paper: ratings for 19 toilet paper brands, with recommended buys and what to avoid. We rate the major toilet paper brands as well as smaller eco friendly brands, look at deforestation, bleach and toxic chemicals, recycled paper and FSC labelling, and ask is bamboo toilet paper really eco friendly?Read more about Ethical Toilet Paper
How to find an eco friendly heat pump company. We rate the ethical and environmental record of 18 heat pump brands. We look at the different types of heat pumps, their efficiency and performance, environmental impact, running costs and grants. Plus we give our Best Buys and recommended buys. We also shine the spotlight on MasterTherm.Read more about Eco Heat Pumps
Finding an ethical bank account. Rating the ethical and environmental record of 31 UK current accounts, with recommended buys and who to avoid. We also look at app-based banking, which banks own which brands, fossil fuel investments, tax avoidance, unequal pay, and how to switch accounts.Read more about Ethical Bank Accounts
Which are the real ethical clothing brands? Ethical ratings for 27 UK ethical clothes brands, with Best Buy recommendations. See how brands rate on key areas including use of sustainable fabrics, climate impact, fair wages and working conditions, animal rights, and supply chain transparency. We look at their range of clothing and at the innovators that are going beyond fairtrade and organic.Read more about Ethical Clothing Brands
We look at what it takes for garments to be labelled organic and why buying organic clothing is becoming increasingly important and popular. We also shine a light on the differences between numerous ethical labels and explore the benefits of shopping organically.Read more about A quick guide to organic fashion