Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Laptops, Mobile Phones, Networks, Broadband
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
- Mobile Phones
- Mobile Phone Networks
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- the conflict minerals in your laptops and phones
- is Fairphone still the most ethical phone?
- is there a Fairlaptop?
- working conditions in the electronics industry
- buying refurbished and second-hand
- the carbon cost of your devices
- is your laptop linked to the military?
- which networks and broadband are run by co-ops?
Feature article on:
- what progress have we made towards sustainable consumer lifestyles in the UK?
Issue 199 (Nov/Dec 2022) now in print and online.
- We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental records of 18 laptop brands We look at the carbon cost of laptops, toxic chemicals, e-waste, workers' rights, military links, shine a spotlight on Framework and give our recommended buys.Read more
- Ethical and environmental rankings of 20 mobile phone brands. We investigate how sustainable or ethical mobile phones are, the issue of conflict minerals, scope for repairability and second hand options. We give our Best Buy recommendations for eco mobile phones and shine a spotlight on Doro.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
In this guide we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 109 brands of bars of chocolate, chocolate snacks and gift chocolates. We also look at vegan and fair trade chocolate, palm oil and deforestation, child labour, cocoa certification, and give our Best Buys advice.Read more about Ethical Chocolate
Guide to 28 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Includes alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying second hand books, book swapping and using libraries.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
Finding an eco-friendly bicycle and e-bike, with ethical and environmental rankings of 32 e-bike brands and 37 push bike brands. We look at carbon emissions, where bikes are made, recycling and repair options, cost of bikes, shine a spotlight on the ethics of the Frasers Group (owns Evans Cycles, Muddyfox and other brands), and give our recommended buys.Read more about Bikes
We are not on track to meet international emissions reduction targets. So what is the gap between where we as consumers are and where we need to be? And what action must we take to address it? Rob Harrison and Josie Wexler introduce introduce Ethical Consumer's second annual report: Closing the Climate Gap 2022: An annual report on progress towards sustainable consumer lifestyles in the UK.Read more about Climate gap report