Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Supermarkets, Butter & spreads, Biscuits, Eggs & egg replacers
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
Butter & spreads
Eggs & egg replacers
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- where to do your Christmas food shopping
- which biscuits are vegan and palm oil free?
- what spread is best for your bread?
- is there any such thing as a good egg?
- how to replace eggs with vegan alternatives
- excerpt from new handbook of ethical purchasing
Feature articles on:
- Which consumer actions cut the most carbon
- The campaign to Stop Funding Hate in the media
Issue 194 (Jan/Feb 2022) now in print and online.
- Ethical and environmental rankings for 50 brands of biscuits. We look at vegan biscuits, including those made by non-vegan companies. We also look at palm oil, issues around sugar and cocoa, plastic packaging, and give our recommended buys.Read more →
- Ethical and environmental record of 19 supermarkets. We also look at an A-Z of policies from animal welfare to palm oil production, shine a spotlight on the ethics of Morrisons and give our recommended buys.Read more →
More from Ethical Consumer
In this guide, we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 44 high-street brands We also look at the problem with fast-fashion, workers' rights, shine a light on the ethics of Boohoo and Shein, and give some recommended buys.Read more about High Street Clothes Shops
Is there an ethical bank? Rating the ethical and environmental record of 32 UK current accounts, with recommended buys. We also look at app-based banking, which banks own which brands, fossil fuel investments, tax avoidance, and how to switch accounts.Read more about Ethical Bank Accounts
Guide to 27 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Including alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying second hand books, book swapping and using libraries.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 17 electricity and gas suppliers. We look at the fuels that generate a supplier's electricity, green tariffs, renewable generation, biogas and 'vegan' energy, smart meters, energy prices and fuel poverty, UK renewables targets and give our recommended buys.Read more about Ethical Energy Suppliers
Ethical and environmental rankings for 43 brands of eggs and vegan egg alternatives. Is it ethical to eat eggs? We investigate egg labelling, vegan egg substitutes, the carbon impact of egg production, and the differences between cage, barn, free range, biodynamic and organic eggs.Read more about Eggs