Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Shampoo, Skincare, Makeup, Deodorant, Toothpaste
The latest magazine includes shopping guides rating:
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- which brands are not tested on animals?
- who's making plastic free or refillable products?
- what animal products are used in cosmetics & toiletries?
- how to avoid plastic toothpaste tubes
- the rise in solid bars over liquid products
- navigating cosmetic certifications and ethical labels
- should you buy fluoride or non-fluoride toothpaste?
- what's wrong with aluminium in antiperspirants?
- makeup brands offering a good range of foundation skin shades
- which are the private companies profiting from asylum seekers' housing?
Issue 206 (Jan/Feb 2024) now in print and online.
- How to find natural, organic, vegan and independent shampoos which are eco friendly. In this guide we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 86 brands of shampoo We also look at palm oil, chemical free shampoo, solid bars versus liquid, shampoo for different hair types, and give our recommended buys.Read more
- Finding ethical, natural and eco friendly deodorants, with recommended brands and ones to avoid. We look at the problem with the terms natural and organic, which brands avoid animal testing, what harmful chemicals may be in deodorants and rate 49 brands for their ethical and environmental records.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
Find ethical, sustainable and fair trade chocolate: ratings for 84 brands of bars of chocolate and chocolate snacks, with recommended brands and ones to avoid. Is all fair trade chocolate equally fair? What are chocolate brands doing about child labour? We look at the big ethical issues including colonialism in the cocoa sector, palm oil and deforestation, child labour, cocoa certification, as well as who makes vegan chocolate, and how to find ethical and responsibly-sourced chocolate to suit your budget.Read more about Ethical Chocolate
Finding the most ethical savings account, with ethical and environmental ratings for 50 savings brands and Best Buy recommendations. We explore non-bank options including building societies and credit unions, look at high street banks and their lending practices, along with executive pay and tax avoidance.Read more about Ethical Savings Accounts
Guide to 34 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Includes alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands and how to find ethical online and local bookshops. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying secondhand books, and how to support independent authors, publishers and bookshops.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
Finding an ethical pension: a guide with ethical and environmental ratings for 23 major pension providers, with recommended buys. We rate the major pension providers which offer some kind of ethical option for clients. We look at different types of pension, what makes a pension ethical, transparency, investments and carbon reporting, Sharia funds and ethical pension campaigns. We also shine a spotlight on Vanguard and Nest.Read more about Ethical Pensions
Finding ethical vitamins and supplements: ratings for 23 brands, with recommended buys and brands to avoid. Are there vegan vitamins and supplements? Are supplements organic and free from palm oil? We rate major vitamin brands as well as small eco brands. We look at packaging, misleading marketing, sugar levels and animal ingredients.Read more about Ethical Vitamins and supplements
We are not on track to meet international emissions reduction targets. So what is the gap between where we are and where we need to be? And what action must be taken to address it? Rob Harrison and Ruth Strange introduce Ethical Consumer's third annual report: Closing the Climate Gap 2023: An annual report on progress towards sustainable consumer lifestyles in the UK.Read more about Climate gap report
Our essential palm oil free guide to help those boycotting palm oil or only buying sustainable palm oil this Christmas.Read more about Palm Oil Free Guide to Christmas Food