Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Laptops, Mobile Phones, Networks, Broadband
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
- Mobile Phones
- Mobile Phone Networks
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- the conflict minerals in your laptops and phones
- is Fairphone still the most ethical phone?
- is there a Fairlaptop?
- working conditions in the electronics industry
- buying refurbished and second-hand
- the carbon cost of your devices
- is your laptop linked to the military?
- which networks and broadband are run by co-ops?
Feature article on:
- what progress have we made towards sustainable consumer lifestyles in the UK?
Issue 199 (Nov/Dec 2022) now in print and online.
- We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental records of 18 laptop brands We look at the carbon cost of laptops, toxic chemicals, e-waste, workers' rights, military links, shine a spotlight on Framework and give our recommended buys.Read more
- Ethical and environmental rankings of 20 mobile phone brands. We investigate how sustainable or ethical mobile phones are, the issue of conflict minerals, scope for repairability and second hand options. We give our Best Buy recommendations for eco mobile phones and shine a spotlight on Doro.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
Finding an ethical and environmental coffee brand. Ranking the ethics of 45 brands of ground coffee, coffee beans and instant coffee. We also look at coffee and climate change, coffee packaging, ethical claims like 'grown by women', shine a spotlight on the ethics of Orang Utan and give our recommended buys.Read more about Coffee
Finding the most ethical mortgage, with ethical and environmental ratings for 35 mortgage providers, and recommended Best Buys. We also look at the bank and building society mortgages, green mortgages, credit unions, Islamic mortgages and how COVID-19 has affected mortgages.Read more about Ethical Mortgages
We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 17 electricity and gas suppliers. We look at the fuels that generate a supplier's electricity, green tariffs, renewable generation, biogas and 'vegan' energy, smart meters, energy prices and fuel poverty, UK renewables targets and give our recommended buys.Read more about Ethical Energy Suppliers
Finding an ethical and environmental car, including electric cars and hybrids. We rank 39 brands of cars. We look at the carbon impact of different types of cars, the cost and range of electric cars, shine a spotlight on Tesla, and give our recommended buys.Read more about Cars and Electric Cars
We are in a cost of living and inequality crisis. Ethical Consumer Week 2022 and our conference will ask: what’s the role of consumer action in the cost of living crisis? We’ll be investigating who’s benefiting, who’s paying the cost, and the role of government, business and consumers in finding equitable solutions.Read more about Ethical Consumer Week and Conference 2022