Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Shampoo, Skincare, Makeup, Deodorant, Toothpaste
The latest magazine includes shopping guides rating:
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- which brands are not tested on animals?
- who's making plastic free or refillable products?
- what animal products are used in cosmetics & toiletries?
- how to avoid plastic toothpaste tubes
- the rise in solid bars over liquid products
- navigating cosmetic certifications and ethical labels
- should you buy fluoride or non-fluoride toothpaste?
- what's wrong with aluminium in antiperspirants?
- makeup brands offering a good range of foundation skin shades
- which are the private companies profiting from asylum seekers' housing?
Issue 206 (Jan/Feb 2024) now in print and online.
- How to find natural, organic, vegan and independent shampoos which are eco friendly. In this guide we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 86 brands of shampoo We also look at palm oil, chemical free shampoo, solid bars versus liquid, shampoo for different hair types, and give our recommended buys.Read more
- Finding ethical, natural and eco friendly deodorants, with recommended brands and ones to avoid. We look at the problem with the terms natural and organic, which brands avoid animal testing, what harmful chemicals may be in deodorants and rate 49 brands for their ethical and environmental records.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
Find ethical, sustainable and fair trade chocolate: ratings for 84 brands of bars of chocolate and chocolate snacks, with recommended brands and ones to avoid. Is all fair trade chocolate equally fair? What are chocolate brands doing about child labour? We look at the big ethical issues including colonialism in the cocoa sector, palm oil and deforestation, child labour, cocoa certification, as well as who makes vegan chocolate, and how to find ethical and responsibly-sourced chocolate to suit your budget.Read more about Ethical Chocolate
Guide to 34 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Includes alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands and how to find ethical online and local bookshops. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying secondhand books, and how to support independent authors, publishers and bookshops.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
Which are the real ethical clothing brands? Ethical ratings for 24 UK ethical clothes brands, with Best Buy recommendations. See how brands rate on key areas including use of sustainable fabrics, climate impact, fair wages and working conditions, animal rights, and supply chain transparency. We look at their range of clothing and at the innovators that are going beyond fairtrade and organic.Read more about Ethical Clothing Brands
Our new guide to mince pies ranks 18 brands, from the biggest names in the market to supermarket own-brands and independent brands. Organic? Palm oil free? Vegan? There's plenty for an ethical consumer to consider when choosing which mince pies to buy. This guide explores the ethics of various companies and examines what each brand offers in terms of ethical mince pies.Read more about Ethical shopping guide to mince pies
Which is the most ethical UK supermarket? Ethical & environmental rankings for 19 supermarkets, with best buys and which to avoid. Investigating policies from animal welfare to workers rights, palm oil production, food waste, plastics, 'freshwashing', supply chains and tax.Read more about Ethical Supermarkets
We explore alternative ethical Christmas gifts, where to shop ethically if buying new, ethical decoration ideas to give some yule-tide sparkle, and much more.Read more about Your ultimate guide to an ethical christmas
Our essential palm oil free guide to help those boycotting palm oil or only buying sustainable palm oil this Christmas.Read more about Palm Oil Free Guide to Christmas Food