Join thousands of others and become an ethical consumer today.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership.
At the heart of the ethical consumer movement, since 1989.
We are an independent, not-for-profit, multi-stakeholder co-operative with open membership, based in Manchester.
We provide all the tools and resources you need to make choices at the checkout simple, informed and effective.
Includes guides to: Coffee, Tea, Coffee Shops, Coffee Machines
The latest magazine includes guides rating:
- Coffee Shops
- Coffee Machines
- score tables rating and comparing the brands
- Best Buy recommendations
- Fairtrade vs Rainforest Alliance vs Organic
- Poverty wages on Indian and Kenyan tea plantations
- which teabags are plastic-free?
- the carbon footprint of coffee shops and a cup of coffee
- the plant milk surcharge and the coffee cup problem
- lower carbon ways to make coffee
- what's wrong with coffee pod machines?
Feature article on:
- how sceptical should we be of corporate 'carbon neutral' and 'net zero' claims?
Issue 196 (May/June 2022) now in print and online.
- Finding an ethical and environmental coffee brand. Ranking the ethics of 45 brands of ground coffee, coffee beans and instant coffee. We also look at coffee and climate change, coffee packaging, ethical claims like 'grown by women', shine a spotlight on the ethics of Orang Utan and give our recommended buys.Read more
- Finding an ethical and eco-friendly sustainable tea. Ranking the ethical and environmental record of 45 tea brands. We look at fairtrade and organic certification schemes, workers' rights, plastic in teabags, shine a spotlight on the ethics of Tata (Tetley and Teapigs) and give our recommended buys.Read more
More from Ethical Consumer
In this guide, we investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 44 high-street brands We also look at the problem with fast-fashion, workers' rights, shine a light on the ethics of Boohoo and Shein, and give some recommended buys.Read more about High Street Clothes Shops
Is there an ethical bank? Rating the ethical and environmental record of 32 UK current accounts, with recommended buys. We also look at app-based banking, which banks own which brands, fossil fuel investments, tax avoidance, and how to switch accounts.Read more about Ethical Bank Accounts
Guide to 27 leading UK bookshops, with best buys. Including alternatives to Amazon and its various book-selling brands. We also look at the best options for ebooks and audio books, sustainability, buying second hand books, book swapping and using libraries.Read more about Ethical Bookshops
We investigate, score and rank the ethical and environmental record of 17 electricity and gas suppliers. We look at the fuels that generate a supplier's electricity, green tariffs, renewable generation, biogas and 'vegan' energy, smart meters, energy prices and fuel poverty, UK renewables targets and give our recommended buys.Read more about Ethical Energy Suppliers
Finding ethical and eco friendly outdoor clothing and sports shops. We rank the ethical and environmental record of 11 brands of outdoor clothing and equipment shops. We look at their policies on synthetic materials and toxic chemicals, animal rights and workers' rights. We also look at own-brand labels, and shine a spotlight on Sports Direct.Read more about Outdoor clothing shops
Sign up now to our weekly e-newsletter and receive a free issue of Ethical Consumer magazine. All the information and inspiration you need to revolutionise the way you shop, save and live.Read more about Free Issue of Ethical Consumer magazine, sign up now
We are not on track to meet international emissions reduction targets. So what is the gap between where we as consumers are and where we need to be? And what action must we take to address it? Rob Harrison and Josie Wexler introduce a new report from Ethical Consumer to help identify how consumers, governments and companies can work together to help fix the climate crisis.Read more about Climate gap report